Friday, May 21, 2010

Ekal Concert @ Houston!

I had performed at the Ekal Vidyalaya Chapter of Houston in Feb 2010... It was after a long time (My last performance was in Atlanta, GA in Feb 2008..... So it was nearly 2 years that I had not performed in front of a live audience!!!!) that I got this amazing three-fold opportunity:
  1 - To perform in front of a huge croed (Almost a 1000!!)  
  2 - The gig was in Houston so I could get to meet my Good Ol' Pals of my Good Ol' Masters Era...
   3- 'Twas a sponsored trip from LA to Houston so no pennies were shelled off my own pocket (ugghh... I know...pretty cheap thought... huh... But staying in LA is tuff folks!)
My concert was amazing... 'Dost Loga' from Houston, grabbed the front seat in the auditorium to cheer for me... They definitely did a great job... I started my introductory song with the Hit Qawwali of the 1970s, the Laxman-Pyarelal masterpiece - 'Pardah Hai Pardah' from Amar Akbar Anthony... Its been my signature song., or so i believe.. I love performing this song in front of a live audience, I make'em clap, sing and dance with me... and the whole credit goes to the composition itself... Dexter Raghunanan on Tabla, Kamal Haji on Keyboard and Ramesh on Guitar was a lethal combination which helped me make my introduction a huge success.


.
Thus, I sang quite a few songs one after another. Especially 'Kuhu Kuhu Bole Koyaliya' being just out of the blue owing to Uma Mantravadi - The self-proclaimed 'SENIOR-MOST' singer in the group... I too did believe her until she opened her mouth to sing... Well, she; most definitely was the SENIOR-MOST singer by AGE and that's it! Then I went on to sing 'Laaga Chunari Pe Daag' which was also a huge hit of its time.. immortal even today! Unbelievably, but true, the concert went on for 4 hrs straight with 0 people bored! That IS an achievement guys!!



Some days later, my friend happened to search my name on Google, (Ya.. that is our fav TP as we are thrilled to see our name come up under Google!!) this link on VOICE OF ASIA newspaper showed up covering the Ekal Concert!!! I'd love to share the article with u guys... I SO loved it... I hope so u will too!




1 comment:

Harshal said...

sahi hia bawa.... congo... google pe naam aa raha hia tera :)